It's What's For Dinner - Thanks Reader's Digest

Spicey Bean and Turkey Stew


Friday night, we're entertaining and it's movie night. Check out what's on the menu: Thanks to Reader's Digest and my friend K, I'm no longer unaware of this culinary delight that is storming homes across America right now. I know Southern homes are firing it up and tonight, Carolina Mama's will be.

Not, Me! I did not make this recipe more difficult by turning it into a cook on the stove and then crock it. No, I didn't just cook it and then crock it for three more hours. It was tasty and then I realized the steps I a.d.d.e.d were not necessary. Not me! What have you not done this week? This was entered for Not me Monday!

Spicy Bean and Turkey Stew

You Will Need
1 lb. smoked turkey sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices

1 can (16 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 can (15 1/2 oz.) great northern beans, rinsed and drained

1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained

1 1/2 cups frozen corn

1 1/2 cups salsa

1 large green pepper, chopped

1 large onion, chopped

1/2 to 1 cup water (enough to fill cooker at least halfway)

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 tsp. ground cumin

What to Do
In 5-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on low 5 to 6 hours or until meat is tender. Stir before serving.

Yield: 6 servings ($1.69 per serving)

Nutrition Facts: 1 1/3 cups equals 350 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 1,412 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 26 g protein.

--D.J., College Station, Texas

Have you tried this recipe? Thoughts? Feelings? :) Will fill you in. Meanwhile, what's for dinner this weekend at your house?

Warmly,

Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

A Christian Mom said...

Mmmmm that looks really yummy! I think that's what's for dinner tonight, lol.

Carolina Mama said...

It's looking good ya'll! It is so colorful and smells great. I am going by the recipe though I added a pinch of Cayenne! Ode to the N'awlins roots. Daddy would be proud.

Unknown said...

The photo of the recipe looks delicious.
In celebration,of 4 years of BerryMorins Bits & Tips blog, I decided to have a drawing! I'll be giving away a $25 gift certificate from vinylvineyard at Etsy.com.
Just leave a comment during the month of May, on June 1, 2009 I'll pull a name!