A Holiday Weekend and Second Grade

School starts here on September 2nd and I find myself really trying to get the most out of these last carefree days. All the while, shopping for supplies, and getting organized for another great year.

It is hard to believe the Tigers are now Second Graders. They are so ready and eager to get started. They have grown a lot physically, mentally and emotionally. I usually do not see it. Lately, I just seem to notice these boys are growing and I just find myself looking across the room, the soccer field, the swimming pool or wherever noticing wow, he has grown.

Raising twins as a stay-at-home mom in a small town where it was Mountain Man and me, things were much of a whirlwind. A fun whirlwind but nonetheless - life went at rocket speed. Does it ever go any differently? We were inundated, becoming parents, nursing twins (did I just say that out loud on the internets!) (okay, yes, in case you didn't know, I am Southern Belle through and through so discussing my nursing days is not something I do say 'in group.') raising boys. Life was busy and full.

Now days life is busy and full.

However, now I take a special note to notice each little thing. So we're running, taking it all in before we officially have two second grade boys we are raising.

Tell me - do you notice? Are your children growing up before you can notice? How do you take it all in?!

Warmly,

5 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

My husband makes a video every year, set to music, that is a mix of home video clips and photos. When I feel like life is moving too fast, I watch those movies over and over and over again. Because I am totally highly functioning like that.

Smelling Coffee said...

I like your new look on the blog, btw.

Our daughter is blossoming each day and changing each week, it seems. But the big change over the summer was in our son.

Our son - my little boy - has grown right before my eyes. He is now taller than me, has feet almost the size of his daddy's, and a voice almost as deep. But when he's sleeping, he still looks like my little boy. Many nights I just sit on the side of the bed and stare at him while he's sleeping - trying to soak in every moment of his quickly fading boyhood. Often, a tear or two of gratitude and love will fall on his sweet face as I kiss him goodnight.

Precious times... No matter how difficult the day has been, I love ending my day by soaking in those sweet faces before I go to sleep.

Smelling Coffee said...

PS: enjoy your weekend... I'll be praying for you as you start school on Tuesday.

Rae said...

Yes, oh yes! First off, how can I be old enough to have a daughter turning 10? Second, how is it possible for my "baby" to be 2 1/2 when I swear I just gave birth a few months ago? When did my middlest become so grown up and responsible?

Sniff, sniff....

Though I must admit 2nd and 4th grade is a wonderful time in a child's life! For me my favorite years as a child were 2nd-4th. I was old enough to be independent and young enough to not realize all the bad in the world.

Enjoy this last summer weekend! I know we will!!!

Shannon said...

It really does fly by!!! I mean, I have a middle schooler.. how did THAT happen, lol. I have loved watching my boys grow up. When the first two were little it was so hard, I yearned for the day when they would be older. Now that I know how quickly it goes by, I try to savour every moment of their days. Watching the twins has been a real treat. We knew that this would be the "last baby", and then finding out it was two babies, made everything even sweeter.