Pad Thai Cooking with Jeb Brown


Today we Welcome our Guest Blogger and Chef, Jeb Brown today.  I am so excited that he will be sharing his creation of Pad Thai. My girlfriend Megan's son, Jeb, is quite accomplished as a Chef and, as you will see here, as a Writer. So, check out his post and enjoy. I know I will be making this soon. Thank you, Jeb and Megan. 


Meet Jeb Brown... Jeb Brown is a 14-year-old Guinea pig enthusiast, classic film appreciator, Celtic music lover, and Kansas City Royals fan.





Pad Thai 
Cooking by Jeb

by Jeb Brown 



My mom wanted me to learn some recipes and make them, so that when I eventually left my parent’s house to go out on my own, I would be equipped to prepare healthy meals for myself.  She asked me to make dinner for the family once a week.  One week she assigned Pad Thai.  I had never made anything like it before.  Asian food was way out of my comfort zone.  As I looked at the recipe, it seemed rather complicated, but as I went along, it was easier than I anticipated.  
It, so far, has been one of the best things I have made.  It tasted really good; the shrimp had a lot of great flavor.  I highly recommend it; it is great for a weeknight dinner.  Below is the recipe.  It is adapted from the cookbook “How to Cook Everything” by Mark Bittman.  
I am glad that my mom has me doing this.  It has been really good practice for me, and I believe it will benefit me in my life.  

Pad Thai 
Makes: 4 servings (feel free to double it, that’s what I did)
Time: 30 minutes
12 ounces dried flat rice noodles, ¼ inch thick 
5 tablespoons of neutral oil, such as grapeseed or corn
3 eggs, lightly beaten
5 garlic cloves, minced
12 ounces shrimp, peeled (I just got the frozen kind, and thawed and used them, though fresh is fine)
4 ounces tofu, pressed.  (Just set the tofu on a plate with a paper towel, then put another paper towel and plate on top, then put something heavy on top of that.  Pressing the tofu will cause some/most of the liquid to be squeezed out, which will help the tofu absorb more flavor)
2 scallions cut into one inch lengths 
1 cup bean sprouts 
2 table spoons nam pla (Thai fish sauce) 
2 teaspoons of tamarind paste (ketchup is an ok substitute)
2 teaspoons sugar 
¼ cup chopped peanuts 
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro 
1.  Put the noodles in a bowl and pour boiling water over them until they are covered.  Soak until softened, at least 15 minutes; if you want to hold them a little longer, drain them, fill the bowl with cold water, and return the noodles to the bowl.  
2.  Put 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  When hot, add the eggs and scramble quickly for the first minute or so with a fork almost flat against the bottom of the pan; you’re aiming for thin egg crepe of sorts (I ended up with scrambled eggs, which is totally fine).  Cook until just set and transfer the eggs to a cutting board.  Cut into ¼ inch strips and set aside. 
3.  Raise the heat to high and add the remaining oil.  When hot, add the ¾’s of the  garlic and the shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp lose their raw grey color, about 2 minutes.  Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate next to the stove.  Add the tofu, scallions, the remaining garlic, and half the bean sprouts to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.  Transfer with a slotted spoon to the plate with the shrimp.  


4.  Put the drained noodles, eggs, nam pla, tamarind paste, and sugar in the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are heated through, then add the stir fried tofu mixture.  Toss once or twice, and transfer the contents of the pan onto a serving platter.  Top with the peanuts, cilantro, and remaining bean sprouts.

Enjoy!

Again, Thank you to Jeb! I think he writes well to be a homeschooled student, chef and writer.

Warmly,  Carolina Mama

FTC Disclosure: Jeb was hired by Carolina Mama to write as a Guest Blogger.


No comments: