International Civil Rights Center and Museum Field Trip



Ode to the hometown and our native Mama's roots, Greensboro, North Carolina, the Tigers were privileged to get to have a field trip to the International Civil Rights Center and Museum before it even opened!



Today, February 1, is an historic day! Four brave young high school students took a stand at the Greensboro "Sit Ins!" History changed! I am proud of my ancestors and their community for embracing the change!



Feb. 11, 1960
Students participate in sit-ins across the state. Twenty-six William Penn High School students sit at the Woolworth lunch counter on South Main Street in High Point.


Sometimes I get choked up explaining the awful parts of history to my children. Sometimes I don't have the words to rightly convey it. On this day, I was both of these emotions. The great news is that there was a happy ending to this one. I got cold chills standing there thinking about what this meant.

Thinking about Rosa Parks just a couple of hours from my hometown of New Orleans. She must have been so proud of these young men.

My husband and I try to explain the courage and character it takes to stand up for what you believe in. I hope we do it. I hope they do it.

Read about it here . Thankful to our own relatives, who live in this community, for informing us. In searching the New York Times today, I have not found an article. However, here is the Sit Ins site.

I hope we share this with others today. Thanks you for reading and listening to something dear to my hear this day.
God Bless!

Warmly,

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Pat Carroll Marcantel said...

This is a wonderful post CM. Thanks.

Pat Marcantel

Carolina Mama said...

Thanks again for your kind words Pat! It's a beautiful place.