Listening and Successful Blogging Tips

Just in from the TypeAMom Conference, I have a few tips to share about Blogging and your own Voice. This was in my inbox this morning and I wanted to share. It's by ProBlogger's Darren Rowse . Over a year ago, I began with his daily email and wisdom. It is so worth it. Check him out. Here's today's topic.

ProBlogger: Listening - Principles of Successful Blogging #1

"Last week I shared a set of slides from a presentation I recently gave which outlines a variety of lessons that I’ve learned as a blogger over the last 7 years. Over the coming months I intend to expand upon many of the points in that presentation - starting today with ‘Listening’.

When I began blogging in 2002 I made a lot of mistakes and had a lot of false assumptions about blogging. One of the things I quickly found out didn’t work when trying to grow a blog was to use it purely as a broadcast tool.

In the first few weeks of blogging it was almost as though I was using the blog as a platform or a stage where I stood with a megaphone in hand blasting out my message for anyone who might happen to be passing by to hear. It’s no wonder that only my wife read my blog that first week (and even she never really came back).

Nobody likes a loud mouth. Nobody wants to be on the receiving end of someone talking AT them.

The people we tend to be drawn to in real life are people who pause in conversation to let you have a say, people who ask questions about you, people who have a genuine interest in what you’ve got to say.

The same is true (in most cases) when it comes to blogging...." Read more here.

Also, you can check out the very informative Blogging Basics 101. It's a great resource.

For more Tips on the "Type A Mom Conference!" you can check it out at Robin @ Pensieve! There are lots of articles there. And go to "Works For Me Wednesday" for more Tips on life in general.

Please post any questions you have about blogging, the Type A Mom Conference Notes, etc. We'll discuss further.

Warmly,

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

UnfinishedMom said...

Thanks so much for posting this. Recently I've really focusing on making my blog relevant to my readers. This was a very helpful article.

I hope you had a great time at the conference.