The Homeschool Hustle and a Winner

Sometimes I think our children are Harvard bound in the second grade. It's 5:33pm and school is still in session, "Mr. G" (Mountain Man to you - who is also the Headmaster of MLA. And the Science and PE guru to the Tigers) is talking atoms and molecules, etc 'arriving at the vicinity of earth, etc.'

The Tigers are listening intently and I stand amazed doing something I usually do that is not near as brilliant sounding - cooking dinner for my family while scheduling the rest of our week, and checking laundry. All of this right before stepping outside of our home briefly to challenge other ladies with seeking the Lord at a very vulnerable time in their lives.

We're all juggling. Right!

This day, I am particularly spinning several plates. I am happy to be involved in welcoming new ladies to our town through a Newcomers Connection at our church. It's a meaningful ministry and yet most nights I wonder why I close the garage door and drive to a ministry across town when God has given me this amazing treasure in earthen vessels right here in my home.

"We have these treasures in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us." 2 Corinthians 4:7


Homeschooling has given me an acute awareness in a very short amount of time that moments matter. Maybe I am sensitive, maybe I am nostalgic. However, God has infused a sense of eternity right here in my mommying, parenting, homeschooling, cooking, cleaning days at home.

Other mothers seem to laugh hysterically at their children and the things they do. Honestly, Mountain Man and I seem to really walk around in awe of this parenting task. How can a gift so great be so overwhelming to possess.

We're by no means idyllic. The Cherubs/My Tigers are not perfect. It's just that parenting in a "living, loving and learning together full-time home" ;) gives me an awareness I never had before our homeschooling decision. We have always been fully engaged parents, or should I say, always attempted to be, and aimed to be.

Our 'assignments aren't all the same.' Though I am happy for mine; I have friends who boldly take their stand in the public school and are forging ahead with what God has for them. Or, my dear friends whose children are in Private and/or Christian schools, they walk a different road.

My challenge: May we be awareness and active in what God has right before our eyes in the assignment He has given each of us.

Believe me, there are days I marvel at the energy and excitement these two carry. Yet, I see myself in the boys. My mother always said, she wished I had a child as talkative, active, silly and dare I say "loud" as I was (my voice has always 'carried' taken after my lawyerDaddy, yet not convenient for a Southern girl.) i.e. Mommy wanted me to have one just like me.

God knows it took two to be just like me and I think of my godly mother - mothering five children and that little girl in the middle had the energy of all five. So most days I can forge ahead - after all mother did.

Each day the Lord has led me to see the overall calling in this life I have been given. Do I get worn out from the never ending need to feed three 'men' in my home, or with the constant hamper of laundry, or reviewing the same flash cards over again? Weary of the sweeping and vacuuming, too ...? You bet!

However, if I have a heart of gratitude and thankfulness, most days are a sheer joy. Most days I feel like I am a part of something much larger than what I can conceive. And underlying I know the hand that rocks the cradle does rule the world. I want to do my part, all of it to the best of my ability each day.

Most days I wake up knowing I have a job more challenging than most CEOs out there. And you know what, I have to smile just thinking "I get to do this!"

May "the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us." 2 Corinthians 4:7

*** We have a Giveaway Winner of the "Educating The Whole Hearted Child" drawn from Random.org.


The Winner is: Nancy M. Congratulations Nancy! Please pop over and thank the Whole Heart Ministries. I feel like Robin @ Penseive who randomly chose someone she knew for the iPod Touch winner. We did happen to feature Nancy M yesterday, however, this number was chosen randomly here....

Here are your random numbers:

8

Timestamp: 2009-03-04 13:53:17 UTC

Check out the Whole Heart Ministries for amazing books on parenting, homeschooling and more. They're a blogging family. Cheers! And if you are interested in their next Conference check this link.

God Bless!

Warmly,

Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

Love Being A Nonny said...

*May we be aware and active in the assignment He has given us*. I love this. Thank you!

Shannon said...

Great post! I admire your decision to homeschool and the dedication that you guys put into it! I wish we had a newcomer thing for moms at our church. I still don't know peoples names.

Tammy said...

You are involved in so many wonderful things and using your talents for Him.

I completely admire moms who home school. It is definitely a calling. Homework is about all I can handle. ;-)

Mel said...

I love homeschooling most days the task is ginormous and seemingly impossible sometimes. Yet the duty to educate and raise was gifted to me...

Love it!!!

Runner Mom said...

Thanks for the reminder to have a heart of gratitude! Y'all have a great day!

Hugs,
Susan

Nancy M. said...

I won! Thanks so much! I am so behind on reading everything.