My Mardi Gras




Happy Mardi Gras Ya'll!

A native of New Orleans, growing up I have many memories of Mardi Gras. I grew up in New Orleans and its Northshore. Do you know one of my earliest Mardi Gras memories? Actually this memory became a tradition.

Leaving town! :) My parents would load up one of our station wagons, all of us would be out of school for Mardi Gras - bonus, all seven of us and off we would go. This partiular Mardi Gras we drove 'north' to Hattiesburg, Mississippi and it snowed! You know snow was more exciting to us than another round of beads. Eventually, we did other things, the beach included.

Mardi Gras became synonomous with family time and a little vacation getaway.

There were the years I was in marching band and I'll never forget the year that I was marching on the end of the front row of our band with my flute. It was quite a position to be in. With the crowds of people my Band Director marched beside me to make sure my instrument would not get jolted.

As a young adult, working in New Orleans and living Uptown. The parades were our lives - you couldn't even get around it literally. After work, you just joined the parade the routes home were closed. I have many good memories of parade fun and I also have to admit I have many memories as a young girl thinking what's the point. The mayhem that ensues is not of this world and I really didn't want to be a part of that.

Though I will always love home and tradition, I do not miss the madness. Yet, I am thankful I have a 'joie de vive!" due to my heritage. Here's a glimpse of the fun. Know this, Rex is where its at all things Mardi Gras and this guy gets best costume in my book, The Aretha Franklan Hat! costume! Winner '09.

Lassez le bon temps roulez.

Warmly,

Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

Happy Mardi Gras to you!!!!

Melanie said...

Hattiesburg? I graduated from high school there - Hattiesburg High School. We were the Tigers - purple & gold.
My folks now live 45 min. from H'burg. I was there at Thanksgiving.

*Skate~Boy is feeling better. Thanks for praying.
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Journey on! by Kelleye said...

Happy Fat Tuesday! I almost went to my moms this past weekend just to experience a tad- widdle bit of the Krew in Jefferson, TX- of course nothing the orleans but still- love this time of year in those parts!

Journey on! by Kelleye said...

Nothing like Orleans was what I was trying to say.........Throw me some beads!

Wendy said...

Happy Mardi Gras! I once told a tourist in a t-shirt shop in the Quarter that "Laissez les bon temps rouler" meant "look out, I'm going to vomit" and she actually believed me. I did tell her what it really meant after that...

Tammy said...

I grew up in Mobile, AL which also represents when it comes to Mardi Gras. My dad is in a group and we always had primo viewing and got extra goodies!

I have yet to take my kids, I'm not sure they are ready. :-)