Keith and Kristyn Getty Concert - Blessed by Getty Music


Keith and Kristyn Getty are the huge buzz here right now. The Irish Couple, Keith and Kristyn Getty of Getty Music were in concert here. We were really blessed with their awesome music and worship!

Can I just say "Amazing!" Look here at the Getty Music website. This couple is gifted and really brings it to the Church - the body of Christ worshiping Him in unity.

Here's what their website says:

"Who is creating the next generation of hymns for the Church? And greater still, has the unique formula of the hymn been abandoned on the back pew of the praise & worship movement? Irish composers and artists Keith & Kristyn Getty don't believe so, and they're on a mission to revive the art of hymnody for a new generation.
"There are two reasons we write modern hymns," explains Keith. "First, it's to help teach the faith. What we sing affects how we think, how we feel and ultimately how we live, so it's so important that we sing the whole scope of truth the Bible has given us. The second reason is to try and create a more timeless musical style that every generation can sing, a style that relates to the past and the future."

I love this. We all know the "praise and worship movement" has been a fun, refreshing music of our generation. I love "the greats" - Third Day, Steven Curtis Chapman, Mercy Me, and on. Yet, the hymns of old are becoming lost today. Also, as the church finds their way in the music of contemporary and classic hymns there sometimes seems to be no mixing.

An all of nothing if you wish - one or the other - traditional hymns, or a rock band. So what our community loved about Getty Music is the mix. The classic sound of hymns written for today. For example, it was powerful when they ended the concert with eveyone encoring to "Power In The Blood!" That's an old hymn some may recognize and yet it had such a wonderful beat and rythm they had the packed out venue with overflowing on our feet - singing, clapping, dancing - did I say these Baptist, Southerners were d.a.n.c.i.n.g.

And the heavens rejoiced. Here are the lyrics to the youtube of "Jesus, Draw Me Nearer!" which moved me more than any song since my husband sang to me at our Wedding ten years ago. And that's Power!

"Jesus Draw Me Ever Nearer"
Music by Keith Getty; Words by Margaret Becker
Copyright © 2002 Thankyou Music


Jesus draw me ever nearer
As I labour through the storm.
You have called me to this passage,
and I'll follow, though I'm worn.

May this journey bring a blessing,
May I rise on wings of faith;
And at the end of my heart's testing,
With Your likeness let me wake.

Jesus guide me through the tempest;
Keep my spirit staid and sure.
When the midnight meets the morning,
Let me love You even more.

Let the treasures of the trial
Form within me as I go -
And at the end of this long passage,
Let me leave them at Your throne.

Warmly,

12 comments:

Wendy said...

I know, I love those old hymns...Our church in Georgia before we moved did a pretty good job of mixing it up. It was an old country church and did contemporary stuff as well as the old gospel favorites. I miss it... (We also had a banjo player in the Praise team - I think that helped!)

Wendy said...

I guess I should clarify, it had once been an old country church before it was engulfed by the 'burbs.

Colored With Memories said...

i love hymns too...new and old!

Kristen said...

Wow. They sound awesome. I've heard that song, but didn't know who wrote it!

Shannon said...

I agree!!! I love that at my mom's church they sing a hymn after a praise song. All too often I feel like I am at a rock concert at a new church.

Audra Krell said...

Very nice post! That is powerful to be moved like that, hopefully you'll experience that again before another 10 years go by!

Kelsey S said...

I just love hymns!

Kelsey
mysweetlife.org

Smelling Coffee said...

What a beautiful song! I love the words and feel like they have been the cry of my heart these past couple of years. Thank you for sharing that with us. I'll have to look for the song on YouTube.

PS: my husband knows the Gettys. They have written several hymns for the new Baptist Hymnal coming out soon. :-)

Carolina Mama said...

Smelling Coffee - I correct myself I believe the youtube vids are other songs of the Gettys that are awesome too.

However, I know they have snippets of lots of songs on their website http://gettymusic.com. Hope that helps.

Sarah said...

I looked at their site and can't wait to go buy the CD. I've never heard of them. I have a feeling it will be a treasured CD!

Screaming Meme said...

I love this post! I wanted to stop in and let you know I posted another class...If you could spread the word I'd appreciate! Thanks! Meme

Rae said...

I must be living under a rock! I haven't heard of the Getty's!! I can't wait to check them out and hear their music. Thanks for introducing them to me!!