One Mama's Tears in the "Baby Pool"

Yesterday, I cried in the "Baby Pool."

Ironically, we had first taken this traditional picture in the pool.



Summer had almost gotten by without our yearly "Pool Pic." We've got great ones from the beach, the mountains, tubing down the New River this Summer but Mama wanted our "Pool Pic," So everyone paused just a moment for this picture.

And then we were off. And then I cried in the "Baby Pool."

You see, the twins are eight. In fact, eight and a half years old. Our "Baby Pool" is 1 1/2 feet deep. Tiger A wanted to play in the baby/kiddy pool today.

He's 4'5" at 8 1/2 years old.

Of course, I went along. These days we usually play games with them and enjoy swimming together. This summer we've enjoyed a lot of basketball in the deep end. The Tigers versus The Parents. :)

In the back of my mind, I know one day they won't ask again. (Yes, it was a good hair day - great hair day - and I let it go "for the boys!") We hopped into the baby pool, me fully expecting to return to the 'deep end' of our pool in a few minutes.

We did not return in a few minutes.


We stayed. He asked me to play "Sharks and Minnows!" And the world stood still. I don't know if I teared up right away or after we were playing a while - I was taken aback and caught with time standing still and then I heard "Mommy, Say Cross The Ocean!"

I did. And we did.

We played - for an hour maybe. Actually until his brother came over and joined us. We were rocking the "baby pool" by then a new mom with a one year old was trying to introduce her tike to the pool. At first, we tried not to rock the waves and scare the baby. Then I looked at new Mom and said, "I'm really trying to enjoy..." And she cut in. I thought she understood and asked, "you have another older child?" And she replied "no. I know you're enjoying the last days of Summer.... "

To which I began to reply, "You know, this may be ..." (and then tears - have you ever been chocked back tears while swimming?) (sniff) (Sniff) waves splashing (hiding my tears from the boys) "It's just that this may be our last year in this pool. They're 8 1/2 - both of them - and I am enjoying every second. (tears) Next year we most likely won't be back here."


So I explained that we should try a different game - we did and then it kicked in and they said, "Game on! We're gonna win in Basketball!"

We were off to the 9 foot pool where they won a big basketball game.

It happened that quickly. And I know I'll always remember that last day, or potential last day, in the kiddie pool.

That's the thing about this journey of parenting, we never see those "lasts" coming. We never really know when it's the last time we do so many things. I don't remember the last time they sat in a booster seat, or when they last drank out of a sippy cup (because they had to :) or when they last asked for help with many things. So that's why I run around with my camera and write right here and document there and do the little things we Moms do while we're doing all the necessary things each day.

It does go quickly. Believe as a Twins Mama, I only get this chance once. So you see, I want to catch every moment, every right now, every first and last.

And that's what I believe those seasoned Moms mean when they say, "Enjoy it, it goes so quickly."

Does anyone know if 9 year old boys play Sharks and Minnows with their Mom in the Baby Pool? (Maybe I'll get this again.)

Warmly,

Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

Ann said...

awww! Poor Mama!

Kelli said...

I read this with tears in my eyes too!! Lasts are emotional! My sweet girl is soon to be 8 and she and I have real conversations. I know what you are conveying here. Hugs!!!

Smelling Coffee said...

What a touching post. I wish we could know when those "lasts" are coming and be prepared to soak each of them in. I guess that's really how we should live each day of our lives... but then, we'd go around morbidly crying all the time. ;-)

Thanks for sharing from your heart. I always enjoy reading posts from your heart. Love to you... Jen

Nancy M. said...

It is kinda sad when they get older. Sometimes I just want to freeze time! Great picture!

Shannon said...

I know exactly what you mean. Friday is the buddies first day of school and I will be a basket case. Oh who am I kidding, I am one now. Here come the tears. Hang in there and savour every moment! And, yes, your hair is gorgeous in the shot!!!!!

Love Being A Nonny said...

They may not want to play in the baby pool again, but they will ALWAYS need their mom!

preppyinnewengland said...

Oh the lasts are truly emotional, and I find it to be the littlest things that get me so weepy!!!!!!