Weight Watchers Tuna Nicoise Salad

Just in from BlogHer 2010 New York City and I am ready for some home cooking! It's hot outside! So I am making an old favorite, Weight Watcher's style.

You know I am a successful Weight Watchers Meetings Member. Well, for those of you who are not members, you too can access the awesome recipes on the WW website. They have a lot of great information available for everyone! Take advantage of it and you will be successful. I count points, so I love the look of this awesome salad. I had this salad in Europe and I tell you it was not "points friendly." Now, i can have this Mediterranean specialty and guilt-free!


Tuna Nicoise Salad!


POINTS® Value: 3
Servings: 4
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 7 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Works with Simply Filling

This classic salad seems harmless, but the truth is it's often drowning in fat. Lighten your niçoise by creating your own dressing using broth, vinegar, mustard and just a touch of oil.


Ingredients
4 small uncooked new potatoes, red, quartered
1/2 pound(s) green snap beans, trimmed
1/3 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp olive oil
1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
4 leaf Boston lettuce
6 oz canned chunk white tuna in water, drained and flaked
2 Tbsp capers, drained
8 items olive(s), sliced in half (use nicoise if available)
Instructions
Place potatoes in a large saucepan and pour in enough water to cover them by 2 inches. Set pan over high heat and bring water to a boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer 6 minutes. Add green beans and cook until potatoes are fork-tender and green beans are crisp-tender, about 1 to 2 minutes more; drain and transfer vegetables to a large bowl.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together broth, vinegar, mustard and oil; season to taste with salt and pepper. Add half of dressing to potatoes and green beans; toss to coat.

Place 1 lettuce leaf on each of 4 plates. Top each with 1/4 of potato-green bean mixture, 1 1/2 ounces of tuna, 1/2 tablespoon of capers and 4 olive halves. Drizzle each with 1/4 of remaining dressing.
Chef Tips
We renovated Tuna Salad Nicoise by:
Using fat-free chicken broth to replace oil in the dressing.

Substituting white tuna in water for light tuna in oil.

I use mustard generously as my favorite condiment. What is your favorite condiment? Do you like the look of this salad?!
Find more great recipes at "Tasty Tuesday!"


Warmly,Carolina Mama

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Sounds yummy! My fave condiment is salsa but that doesn't go with this salad now does it?!

Kimberly said...

I just came across your blog and was immediately struck by how much we have in common! I'm also a Christian, am a true blue southern girl, I homeschool my girls with the same great list of curriculum you use, and I love Weight Watchers!!! Great blog!!! I hope you'll come by for a visit sometime.

http://autumnliving.blogspot.com/
http://mindingmyweigh.blogspot.com/

Blessings,
Kimberlynn