My Daddy - Twenty-Nine Years Later - Left A Lasting Impression

Twenty-Nine years ago today, my amazing Daddy was unexpectedly taken from this life - wisked away by the Angels to his eternal home. Since then, I've been longing for Heaven like no little girl could.

That Tuesday morning, our family plan was to pick up Daddy from the Hospital where he had been on breathing treatments for his asthma. Looking back now, I realize this was not normal. He was 46 years old. We became accustomed to his breathing issues. My sister and I once drove him from the CourtHouse where he won his case as an Attorney to a small town in Louisiana to get asthma help.

We had suitcases packed for our vacation out West to consider the idea (gasp for the Louisiana native who loved his homeland). His birthday presents were wrapped. Birthdays are a big deal in our family. And his was two days later which we planned to celebrate on the trip. Instead that morning our brother, the eldest, woke us up to tell us, "Daddy has gone to Heaven!" A loss I still cannot comprehend fully. As the four of us girls lay still in our parents king sized bed, our Mom too, I recall my brother, another bedrock in the family, standing at the foot of the bed, quoting this scripture that has comforted me these twenty-nine years later.


"Sorrow not, even as others which have no hope." 1 Thessalonians 4:13


And so began the life of being a fatherless young girl. We ranged in age from 8 to 22 years old. My dear 'Mommy" is an enigma herself. Thankfully to my Daddy's success and their planning and my mother's fortitude, she saw us all through college, marriage, parenting, etc. She is the bedrock of our family.

It was years later as a new Mother of Twins and Columnist at the Hattiesburg American, that I wrote this tribute during the Tigers' afternoon nap. Today, it still stands true.




*click each article segment above to enlarge. Happy reading!

He is with me every day! And I am so thankful to share him with our sons and you! :) Is your father living today? Did he make your world spin too?!



Warmly, Carolina Mama

4 comments:

Bobbi said...

So sweet. My Dad is gone now too. It's been 10 years. My parents adopted me after they had raised and married off 4 daughters. I still miss him.

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

I loved reading this beautiful tribute to your Daddy.

My own Daddy is 77 and going strong. He's a wonderful Papa to my two girls. They adore him.

I know your Daddy is looking down from Heaven smiling at you and your family!

ada apa dengan ini said...

wow ..nice post ...

Mimi N said...

My dad left our family when I was 6 yrs old and has never been much of a dad. My step dad was/is cool and I dig him, but I never had that special father/daughter relationship. What a blessing for the time you shared. So glad that you have the hope of seeing him again one day.

~Mimi