Tribute: Sandra Bullock's Acceptance Speech - Blind Side Oscar

You all know I was an early fan of the movie, Blind Side. Everything about the movie was incredible. And Sandra Bullock made it even more so. Sandra Bullock Says The Tuohy Family Gave Her The Opportunity To Do Something Different.

It's been a while since my last viewing of "The Blind Side." :) Yet, these weeks before the Oscars, I have been thinking about "my own 'different'" and leaving my own legacy here when I am gone. Today, I had an email asking me what legacy I was leaving behind. No coincidence.

Recently at girls lunch with dear friends myself, I couldn't get in the flow of the conversation - brands, products, vacations, destinations, more seemed like more and stuff like stuff. I felt like I was in a haze of commercials or something un-real. I loved all of the products we discussed.

And yet, I so wanted to talk about something real - like people, children, what we are doing to give back. Something outside our selves. You know when I left, I wasn't thinking about the Oscars but I did think of Sandra Bullock / Leigh Anne Tuohy when she left that luncheon that day in Memphis.

Her friends were actually making fun of her for caring for the orphaned child. And she called them out! She actually said, "I can find a high priced salad on my side of town." Sometimes I feel that way. Like driving across town to indulge in more boutique shopping, a high priced salad and talking about more stuff - consumerism... why!?! More than that, Leigh Anne Tuohy did something about it....



"The Blind Side" is about a woman who, with uncommon love and acceptance, took in Michael Oher, a once homeless young man and nurtured him to football stardom. Oher is now a standout football star with the Baltimore Ravens.

Smith said, "You knew it was a movie that would touch people's hearts. I didn't clearly know how a big a financial success it would be and I never knew we would be talking Oscar. I just knew it was a movie with a wonderful message and a lot of heart."

It's also a story that inspired an Oscar worthy performance by Sandra Bullock who dedicates her award to special mothers everywhere.

Bullock said, "So I would like to thank what the film is about for me, which are the moms that take care of their babies and the children no matter where they come from(clapping)."


I love that she thanked "Moms that take care of their babies and the children no matter where they come from!"

Do you have thoughts like this? What difference are you making?

Warmly,

Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Love Being A Nonny said...

Thanking moms everywhere was such a sweet thing for her to say. Because truly, no matter where we live or what we may experience, the heart of a mother is for her children. I loved this movie. It made me WANT to make a difference. I try so hard to *pay attention* to those who may be hurting and try, in some small way, to help them. *Hurt people hurt people* and if we could do something about that....we might change the world.

Carolina Mama said...

Nonny, I so agree with you! That is what has been on my heart lately. It makes a world of difference to even begin thinking down that path. Then we can make a difference and change the world!

WeaselMomma said...

I've heard so much good about this movie, but haven't had a chance to see it yet. Now want to see it that much more.

Melanie said...

I have been thinking lately how being a wife and mother is the highest calling...