Little Eyes Are Watching Me

Footprints
by
Margaret Fishback Powers

I cannot name myself as one
Who never goes astray,
Who never stumbles on the road,
Or Leaves the Hallowed way.
But when I know that baby feet
Will follow where I've trod,
I walk with care that they too may walk
That road that leads to God.


My journal that I write in (imagine that something non-computer) has these great little sayings, poems and verses throughout. This one seemed to read my mind lately when it talks about Baby Feet following me "where I've trod" because these little eyes are watching me.

If you've been around Carolina Mama a while you know that my dear Daddy died young and unexpected to all of us. I think early on this shaped my understanding of what is important in life.

So as I parent, homeschool, cook, teach clean and just play with my children, I have an underlying knowledge that this whole assignment that I have been blessed to be given is happening at lightning speed.

Even on "those days" - days where I am weary, days where they aren't listening so well, - I know our time is measured and I want to reply my very best e.v.e.r.y time.

Really things we do now can effect them forever, eternity. So when I read this "Footprints" poem above, it vocalized my precise feelings because more than anything else, Mountain Man and I want these boys, my Cherubs, "the Tigers" to take the 'road that leads to God.'

And my I always parent with this in mind, these 'baby feet' will follow. It's a strange thing because most days, I feel like I am the one who should be following... following these little Cherubs who bring heaven to earth in so many ways. Because really I'm watching them and learning every day.

Warmly,

Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Well said.
I just realized I never updated on Joseph. He made a full recovery. It was slow, but much quicker than the doctors at Duke predicted. He came home in a well chair, and is up and running and playing sports again. Kids are amazing, and God is even more amazing.

Pat Carroll Marcantel said...

Love your site. Thanks for sharing that poem...how true it is.
May the Lord continue to bless you.

harvestworker/stargazer
Pat Marcantel

Nancy M. said...

Wonderfully written post! f

MaricrisG said...

A very meaningful Poem indeed! May the little eyes that watch us continue to watch us :)