Easiest Red Beans and Rice Crock Pot Recipe #Cajun

All my life the Red Beans and Rice have defined South Louisiana.  My mother had a way of making this simple meal one we all craved and devoured regularly.  In New Orleans and throughout South Louisiana, particularly, Monday is Laundry Day and with it comes a massive pot of Red Beans and Rice that have been cooked to perfection.



My Mom and Dad both taught me favorite things to cook. My Mom was the quintessential Southern Belle, Wife, Mom, Friend, Musician ...  and Cook. As a wife and Mom, I so appreciate your commitment to us through so many areas and specifically through her cuisine.

So after college when I began to cook for myself, it bothered me greatly that I was not able to master Mommy's Red Beans and Rice. I worked and worked. And there is great disappointment in trying and failing at something so innate as your heritage of recipes!

Yes, my mother's shoes were hard to fill. Yet, I really tried. Through the years, I got better. Trial and error have always been my friends. Try, try and try again have been my mantra as well. I work hard and achieve, eventually.

My efforts at reaching my culinary goals for Red Beans and Rice came when I was many miles away living in Colorado... you know, learning to Ski, Hike 14ers and Fly Fish.  Snowshoe, and more. I was more determined than ever to bring New Orleans to the Rockies. So with my dear native New Orleans Friend and Roommate, we perfected our recipe.

It's a culmination of my Mom, her Mom, us, Emeril, Paul Proudhome and more.  And since I am so enjoying this delicacy here in my Mom's native land of North Carolina, like a good blogger, I am here to share the goods with you!

Cajun Red Beans and Rice Crock Pot Style - Easiest and Tastiest

1 .lb Red Beans (Camilla are THE best!) These will be good even with Wal-Marts.
1 .lb Andouille Chicken Sausage sliced thinly - health matters. We use Trader Joe's
1 yellow onion diced
5-7 garlic cloves diced
Spices you Love: Basil, White Pepper, Black Pepper, Cheyenne Pepper, Salt, Oregano, Thyme. Spice to taste
1 box Vegetable Broth - we use TJ's
2 T. canola oil
2 cups of water
Crystal Hot Sauce, a NOLA favorite!

4 c. cooked white rice according to package :)  Brown or Wild Rice taste wonderful as well.

KEY!  Soak Red Beans in Water OVERNIGHT. :)  This is gold. Refill the bowl to cover the beans with water for the 24 hours.

Rinse beans. Place them in the crock pot with the broth and cook on High for two hours. Then, add ALL the other ingredients layered in, stir a circle around the crock pot two or three times. Cook for 5 more hours on Low.  Remove lid and KEY! MASH some of the red beans with a fork. Stir.

Cook a Final hour without the Crock Pot lid off. Mash and stir some more and serve over fresh steamed white rice. Wild rice or brown rice taste great - tradition is white rice. Add Crystal Hot Sauce to taste! 

          photo credit: eatandrelish.com

This is a complete meal as rice and beans create a complete protein. Serve with a Salad and French Bread, and Banana Pudding. Que up a little Harry Connick, Jr.'s "Every Man Should Know" and "My Mama Told Me!" Enjoy!!!

Take Note: I omitted the sautéing of the onions, garlic and andouille. This saved time and did not effect the flavor at all! This was fabulous! No need to brown the already cooked andouille.

Hope you enjoy!

Let the good times roll!
Warmly, Carolina Mama

1 comment:

Leigh Powell Hines said...

Just pinned this one to my simple suppers board.